Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Understanding cheap fabric content >

Understanding cheap fabric content

Understanding cheap fabric content

Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sounds like you might have some cotton lawn on your hand. I love, love, love cotton lawn. Might be a little thin for quilting, but is an excellent candidate for summer blouses.

I am not familiar with cotton lawn, but funny you mentioned it. As I was looking closely at the fabric, those were my exact thoughts. I thought that that they would make a very nice blouse. Problem is, I don't know how to sew clothing.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM

I have a few yards and a jelly roll in cotton lawn, I’m excited to work with it because it feels so good. I figured I’d make a summer throw with it.
Sounds like you might have some cotton lawn on your hand. I love, love, love cotton lawn. Might be a little thin for quilting, but is an excellent candidate for summer blouses.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
I have used some of JoAnn fabric for table runners and mug rugs, etc., but if Im going to put many hours into a quilt I want to outlive me, I’m going to a quilt shop to buy my fabric.
I've only started quilting 9 months ago after taking a class. What you said is exactly what my teacher told us and something my Aunt who's been quilting for 35 years couldn't agree more with. My Aunt says JoAnn's is good fir crafts, not quilts.
🤷*♀️
Old 01-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I will admit, I am mystified by fabric. I am folding away again today and have come upon in two cases of expensive fabric that was soooo thin, yet soooo soft to the touch that it feels more like silk. I am actually afraid to use it in a quilt as it appears so delicate. I wish I had a more definitive answers to these questions.

I naturally Goggled the question, and most times they speak of thread count, but I don't feel this is the only answer.
I was in a quilt shop clearance area and a bolt of material was so thin and soft I asked why this feels so different? The saleswoman said the name/type of fabric (I can't remember-short word) and said that's it's used for clothing not quilting.

I wonder if that's what you have?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HoneyJ View Post
I was in a quilt shop clearance area and a bolt of material was so thin and soft I asked why this feels so different? The saleswoman said the name/type of fabric (I can't remember-short word) and said that's it's used for clothing not quilting.

I wonder if that's what you have?
See post #20 above
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM

See post #20 above
Ha! That's it! Don't know how I missed it.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I haven't bought fabric from Joann's in years. I can find much better quality for the same price or lower online. I usually stick with brands I know like Moda or Robert Kaufman. I've never been disappointed.
For non-quilting I may buy from Joann's but I really don't like their fabrics anymore.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 AM

I look at the fabrics from JoAnn's in the light to see the thickness. I buy from quilt tores and from JoAnn's and I also buy the waverly solids from Walmart and some prints. I have made baby quilts and they have held up fine. I used Moda in a quilt for my daughter and it was during a time where moda seemed to be using a lower quality Griege?(fabric b/4 dyeing). Her quilt faded terribly in a fairly short time. She does wash her quilts frequently, but when a oJoAnn's baby quilt is washed and holds up better than a Moda quilt, something is strange. I feel and closely inspect my fabrics no matter where I buy them. I have found that solids ravel more and I could not see a difference in Waverly solid from Walmart and regular solids in a quilt store. I studied them side by side. I needed another fabric for a table runner I was making for my daughter. The quilt stores were closed. I ran to Walmart and found a color that would work. Honestly I could not tell the difference in the weave or feel of the solids. I have only been quilting for 13 years, but I have never had anything fall apart. The first two quilts I made my daughter have faded terrible. One was Moda and the other a mixture of big box and quilt store. They faded about the same, but she does wash them all the time because she has dogs and they get on the bed. I made my first quilt 13 years a go for my granddaughter when she was born. It has been washed several hundred times and it has held up fine. We have had to replace the binding. Amazing that these fabrics have pretty much held their colors and not faded much either. Look at your fabrics carefully in all places you buy. Some of the stiffer fabrics do have sizing in them. I bought some fabrics from Germany at a quilt show and they were so stiff. The vendor told me the sizing used made them not as soft as other fabrics. They were fine when washed. Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post

I agree with Lee in Richmond, that many solids--especially the Konas--often have a coarser and looser weave. I wish I could find solid fabrics that have the same thread count. I always preshrink them, which seems to tighten up the weave a bit. I have also learned to cut slightly off grain which seems to help with the raveling.
I agree with Ginger and Lee (and others), especially regarding the broadcloth solids like the Konas. I strongly prefer Moda Bella solids--they seem a little brighter, their weave a little tighter, and they have a noticeably "softer" hand than the Kona solids, but the Bella line is still a broadcloth. Michael Miller makes a line of solid fabrics called Cotton Couture, but I haven't found a local store that carries it so I am not sure if it's another broadcloth or closer to the lighter-weight apparel cottons.

Would love to hear from others regarding their preferences for solid-color fabrics.