Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 PM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I feel exactly opposite from most of you. I am 77 and I plan to live till 95. Why can't I enjoy my Mother's beautiful dishes and my fabric till I am gone. My kids feel I should get rid of everything so they don't have to do it. I want to move to a larger home so I can have a room to quilt or paint when I want to, then walk out and close the door so the items will be right where I left them. I love cherry furniture and I have antique family pieces, and I do not want to get rid of any of it. I love to work with wood and have my own wood shop out back. I plan to have another one if I move. I guess all of us have choices but I do not plan to get rid of mine. I cleaned and polished that furniture for over 56 married years and I am not ready yet. Maybe I will live to be 105, who knows.
Ragamuffin, I love you! I'm the same way. I have a lot of antiques I've inherited and accumulated on my own. I love all 5 sets of dishes that I have plus my other collections. I don't plan to get rid of it until I have to. I love my things and they all bring me joy. If you don't have to get rid of them don't! If the kids don't want to deal with it, I'm sure you can find someone else to leave an inheritance to that would be glad to do a bit of work for it.