View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 AM
ppquilter

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
Another scenario: I can't tell you how many times I have purchased a pattern and made it according to my personal time tested methods. I ended up with the same finished design. Even if I didn't write my methods down I did 'rewrite it'. That is entirely OK because it was my pattern after purchase and I can use it as I see fit. I just can't market it as mine but I certainly wouln't hesitate to show another quilter how I did mine if I was asked. I ran into this very thing in a Judy Neimeyer class I took. I made one curved section "my way' and the instructor admired it until she saw me doing the next one. Then, she rather chastised me. Oh, well.
As you paid for the pattern and class of a Judy Neimeyer pattern, I think the teacher was wrong to get on you for not doing it "their" way. Its great to try a new way but if your way works for you, Do It! I love to pp, but I do it my way. Some people need the class to get it. Most of the time on a pp pattern I will white out the numbered steps, I can tell what goes where and in what order. I buy the books and do it my own way!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2019 at 04:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps