Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it OK to re-write a pattern? >

Is it OK to re-write a pattern?

Is it OK to re-write a pattern?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 AM

I am "guilty" of rewriting patterns for my own personal use. I love to paper piece and many times I've looked at a traditionally pieced block and reworked it into a paper pieced block. Block looks identical at the end, but I changed up the technique I used to make it. I've mentioned this to other people and some are shocked that I would do such a thing and others are "wow, why didn't I think of that?". As long as you don't profit from the pattern, I don't see anything wrong with this "rewrite". Just My 2 Cents...for what they're worth.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM

If people never looked for a different way (that's better for them) we would still be cutting out fabric pieces one at a time with scissors. I applaud you!
Old 03-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Every pattern that instructions how to make hsts for a unit, I don't use that way. I use the method I want to use. Thus I rewritten the pattern. I don't mind showing anyone my way if they ask so they can dismiss the pattern way. As long as the finished quilt looks the same what difference does it make what corrections you make to get there? It's still the designer's finished look and anyone can look at it and say Oh that's a ______ pattern. I don't get hung up over stuff like this.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 AM

Thanks for all your opinions.
1. I have no intention of selling it or teaching it for that matter.
2. Everyone was disgusted over having to buy such a poorly written and confusing pattern. It was essentially a 16 patch block and another familiar block albeit with different value placings.
3. I would only give "my" directions to the members who had already purchased the pattern. There were several who gave up and put it on their UFO pile.
4. And I want to make it for myself cause the end result is very pretty.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 AM

I totally change patterns all the time. I rewrite it as I go. I am making my fifth bag and I have made three or four additional changes to this one. It is time to type a completely revised pattern before I can think of more changes. The only original fact is that it uses a Jelly Roll.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:51 AM

I do not see any thing wrong with rewriting a pattern the professionals do it all the time and sell the books or patterns as their own, for example Square Dance came out pictures of templates to be traced to plastic, I have the book and did the quilt, someone else reprinted called the Twister, included plastic templates, doubled the price another example was Stack and Whack very popular I also have the book did the quilt then someone else rewrote it called it One Block Wonder and sold under their name not very much changed in either book plus there are others even patterns so why would it be fair for some and not others so when I want to rewrite a pattern I do and I have came up with easier ways and taught them at guilds and quilt stores
Old 03-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What if she did it at no charge?
She is still the only one entitled to profit from any sales of her pattern, if it is copied.

If the pattern is just a combination of shapes, then it is only her words that are copyrighted. You cannot copyright shapes. If there is artwork involved, such as applique designs, those can be copyrighted as original artwork. So if you take a pattern that is just basic shapes (as are most pieced quilts), and write your own new directions for it, it's not a violation of any copyright. You can do what you want with it.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 AM

You are making the quilt - you can make it / change it / redo it in any way you want. The problem arises if you try to resell a pattern that you have altered (the pattern not the quilt!). Copyright laws are designed to protect the product - meaning the pattern and pattern maker. It is a very grey area concerning making items from a pattern and selling them. You may not sell the patterns without permission, but selling items from a pattern are not going to cause problems unless you are doing it on a massive manufacturing scale. It is good form and karma to give credit to the designer if you are selling an item made from a particular pattern. I find that buyers at an event appreciate having that information. Another way to think about it is if I am selling gift baskets and one of the items in that basket is a small bottle of lotion, the company making the lotion is not going to sue me for including their lotion. They will think of it as advertising their product.