Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM
tuckyquilter

Originally Posted by LadyAg View Post
I am new to quilting and have been worried that it may prove too difficult for me to quilt a bed sized quilt on my home sewing machine. I have no problem attaching turned edge applique pieces with my machine. My concern is in "dragging" so much material around while trying to make attractive stitch shapes that are not pulled out of shape by the resistance from the "mass". This would apply to both feed dog up and down quilting.

I found the above book on quilting individual blocks, or groups of blocks, First and then joining the quilted sections together. Has anyone tried this or a similar technique? Since I am doing different sized applique blocks, I don't think the "Quilt as You Go" method would work for me. I imagine like anything else, there are probably different challenges that would crop up quilting in sections.

Any experience or observations would be greatly appreciated!
I have used Candy Glendenings Quilt by Column. Which I love. I can quilt Any size quilt, and only have to worry about 12"-15" at a time. I have altered the method, in that I now just make the entire backing in one piece and roll it to my right. I also leave 1/2" on the right edge of the quilting which makes it easier to sew the next column on. I have tried a variety of methods, over the years, and Candy make great sense.. no little strips etc. I can make a quilt with or without sashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps