Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
socalmom

Default Beef and pototoe dish with a self made gravy

I got the recipe long time ago and am not sure where it came from.

Take a round steak and cut into 1 inch cubes. roll in flour and brown in a little hot oil of your choice. Dump all the meat into a casserole dish, add salt and pepper to taste and some thyme to taste. I do about 1/4 teaspoon pepper a little more salt and a 1/4 teaspoon thyme to about 2 pounds of meat. Add a cup and a half of water, not quite enough to cover the meat completely and 2 tablespoons of flour sprinkled over the meat. Then cover with sliced peeled potatoes sliced about a 1/4 inch or less thick. I push the sliced potatoes down the sides of the casserole pan lining it. Sprinkle salt and pepper and pop it in a 350 oven for an hour or until the potatoes look done. Turn the oven up to brown the potatoes if you want them darker they tend to dry out so keep an eye on it. I go to about 400 for about 15 min. or less. The meat should be tender the flour and water should have made you a gravy like sauce. Sometimes I add some drained canned green beans but you could put in what you like. I onced used deer meat and it was great. My mom was surprised.