View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Oh I love coffee, especially the smell of it. But I only drink one large travel mug per day in the AM. About the equivalent of two cups. Occasionally on a special occasion out to eat, I will have a cup with dessert but it definitely impedes my sleep so usually just my one large cup in the morning. I don't like instant coffee but keep some instant espresso powder on hand in case of emergency and also to use in baking. I have a drip coffee maker but have had coffee made in a french press and it is very good but not so good that I will go out and get one. I buy preground but will grind my own beans when I get the fancy stuff.

I do love really good coffee but for everyday I usually just buy a store brand Columbian coffee mixed with a flavored coffee. But when I want something special, I head to the local roasters and get some really nice stuff like an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Sumatra Mandheling. Hawaiian Kona coffee is also very nice. I used to work with a computer engineer who was a real aficionado and he introduced me to the Ethiopian and Sumatran varieties.

I also enjoy flavored coffees. Not the kind with syrups added, the ones where the beans themselves are flavored. I like hazelnut, Vanilla, and Caramel flavors. I don't like my coffee sweet unless it is coffee ice cream. Just a splash of milk and I am good to go.

I too find Starbucks less than satisfactory. I like strong coffee but theirs just tastes burnt and bitter.