View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Sephie

I am a perfectionist in some areas of my life because what I do for a living demands it, but I also recognize that I am human and humans aren't perfect. When I'm quilting, also because of where I am in my life right now, I'm in the have fun, get it done, make something of good quality someone can enjoy, and move on to the next project. For most of us, this is a hobby and something we do because we enjoy it. It definitely doesn't have to be perfect. Let go of the perfectionism if it's not an aspect that you enjoy.

Some people really enjoy getting perfect points and will rip out the seam and try again to get it perfect. I rarely ever rip unless it's something I really can't live with, like joining 2 rows and being off by an inch If I get a perfect point, yay me! If I don't, meh it'll quilt out anyway. No one is ever going to pick on you about whether or not your seams match or if your points are pointy unless you ask them to - like a judge in a quilt show.

So, it's your hobby. Please enjoy it! Delight in it. Rub your face in the fabric - I know I do sometimes!! I definitely go pet some fabric when my tots are being monsters and they love to come in the guest/fabric room with me to pet fabric so everyone can calm down. Rejoice in those perfect points when you get them, and if the points really frustrate you - there are tons of quilts that don't require points

Forgot to add: There is a really great book called The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) if this is more your style of quilting. I bought the book because I was inspired by this quilt: http://patchthegiraffe.blogspot.com/...t-score-9.html There is some great advice in the book about letting go and being free to cut and piece. It was a great read even if you never make any of the projects out of it.

Last edited by Sephie; 04-11-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Forgot Link!