Old 04-28-2019, 03:25 PM
HettyB

My method is a bit odd but I can sandwich up a large quilt (twin or double sized bed) in about 10 minutes

Roll the ironed quilt top on a sturdy cardboard tube. Make sure it is rolled straight
Then lay out the batting/wadding out on the table with the bulk hanging over the back. Make sure there are no creases in it.
Place the rolled quilt top on the batting a few inches in from the table edge nearest to you (so there is extra batting showing)
Apply spray baste edge to edge and about 6 inches deep on the batting and then roll the tube away from you.
Repeat until quilt top is basted to batting. If you come to the edge of the table before the top is fully basted or feel you are leaning too far, then pull the unbasted section towards you.
Pick up the basted batting and quilt top and flip it over so you are now looking at the batting
Roll backing fabric onto the tube
Repeat the process as above except this time make sure there is no exposed batting nearest you.

I find handling wooden boards too difficult and heavy for my hands, the sturdy cardboard tubes are the ones that hold the huge rolls of upholstery fabric. Rolling is great if you are using spray baste as there is an even and continuous pressure across the width of the sandwich. I don't have to smooth the fabric with my hands or tape anything down.

Also with cardboard there is less risk to my dining table. I cover the table with an extra large cheap shower curtain which is rinsed and hung out on the line.

Last edited by HettyB; 04-28-2019 at 03:27 PM.