Thread: Pickle Update
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Sephie

No idea why it's deleting all my formatting and forcing this into 1 paragraph. Sorry for hurting your eyes... I've quilted all of my quilts except 1 on my little Janome with a 6.5in throat including a few queen and king sized quilts and it's definitely doable, but obviously more work than if I was using a larger machine. A few things I've learned along the way:1) Don't roll all of the quilt inside the throat. It's too heavy to move that way. If I'm working in the middle of the quilt, I'll roll maybe the outside quarter, and accordion fold the rest so that there's much more freedom of motion. 2) Make a "frame" around the section you're working on so that there is absolutely no drag. You basically just make a pleat or wrinkle the entire sandwich around your machine so that when you move the quilt, you're not trying to move the entire quilt. You're just moving the section inside your "frame". Picture below. 3) It helps tremendously to have the bed of the machine flat with the surface of the table. I made a very inexpensive foam insulation table topper to fit my machine by following Marguerita McManus' Youtube tutorial: https://youtu.be/g14govA4pIM except I used packing tape to tape down the vinyl and I wrapped the vinyl around the sides of the foam too and taped to the bottom so there are no exposed edges. My only regret was that I didn't do this sooner! 4) It also helps a lot to have your ironing board or another table directly to your left to support the weight of the quilt. If you can scoot your sewing machine table into a corner so that the quilt doesn't fall off the edges of the table, that's best too.5) To combat the drag in front of the machine, you can put a small pillow in your lap so that the quilt is elevated more closely to the level of your machine.6) Elmer's washable glue is fantastic for basting! It washes out completely and it's cheap. I love it. You don't have to worry about any overspray and some basting sprays don't wash out.
Attached Thumbnails baptist-fan-quilting-1.jpg