View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Iceblossom

For many years I happily used poly blends, especially for solids for the bright colors. There aren't really any problems in using it for quilting -- however, be warned that when you are used to working with cottons poly are very slippery! I pin anyways, but if you don't usually pin you should. If you go back to the old magazines and such, poly blends were often recommended for the sheen and lack of ironing.

I can't hardly find any double-knits in the thrift stores any more, but they were actually preferred by at least one group I used to donate to for quilts for the homeless as they dry easier than cottons and are extremely durable and sturdy.

I've used textured fabrics before as well in quilts. Usually best to do something simple like 6" squares of the textured with alternating blocks or 9-patches or whatever.

Edit/PS: I've brought along a piece of a poly blend to my mom's. I don't do much garment construction any more but I'm going to make some Kuspuks (Innuit Summer Parkas). I'll be making a personalized "pattern" for myself out of the poly. Usually I use old sheets for that sort of thing, but I'm out of those and had that piece of yardage, so it's what I'm going to do.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-14-2019 at 09:33 AM.