View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 05:30 AM
juliasb

I have 3 different Embroidery machines here and tons of different threads and stabilizers. I use them frequently. I have slowly purchased my threads which I found to be the most expensive. I bought most of them on line and was careful about what I bought. I only purchased one bad batch, that one cost me $12. My quilting machine (mid arm) threads cost me much more than embroidery threads. The most expensive thing I purchased for the embroider was my digitizing software. It cost more than one of the machines! It was well worth the expense. Before you buy your machine however give a great deal of thought to what you believe you will be using it for. I discovered that most of the designs I do are no more that 4" because they are used to accent a piece or be a focal point in a block. Larger pieces can be done by manipulating the piece within a small frame. Of course you can always use the larger frame for larger pieces that is the easy way. I tried both ways as a way to make my decisions. I have made several quilts with embroidered blocks. Mostly for my grand kids who wanted something special like disney characters. I love prewound bobbins too and always keep a supply of them handi. Keep in mind that any project we do when it comes to sewing any more is costly. Our quilts still top the scale as expensive when you figure in the fabrics, patterns and time and quilting expenses. Even your embroidery machine can be used for making a quilt (unless you get just a machine that can only do embroidery work). Happy quilting! (and embroidery!)