View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 12:51 PM
TAMARATJO

Default How do you build a quilt - discussion

I love the threads where people talk about how they do things, so I thought I would start one on how you design or decide on the parts of your quilt. Hard to explain the question well, so here is my process: I determine the overall pattern I want to make. I get inspiration from Pinterest, websites, quilt magazines, etc. I then design the quilt using EQ8. Next, I select the fabric either from my stash, or by purchase. I then re-work the quilt in EQ 8 using the fabric, or close representations of the fabric I selected. (too lazy to scan it, size it etc.) Next step is to determine how to make the blocks. Can I use my rulers to make sub blocks and minimize the number of seams? I next determine the cutting list for a block, then refine the list to very specific cut list for each fabric. After cutting the fabric I determine which sub blocks to chain piece, and make all the sub units. Then I lay out a block and determine method for piecing the blocks. Next I piece any sashing, setting blocks, and borders. Complete the sandwich, and then determine the quilting pattern. I developed this method over time, and it seems to work well for me. What is your process?