Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build a quilt - discussion >

How do you build a quilt - discussion

How do you build a quilt - discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Default How do you build a quilt - discussion

I love the threads where people talk about how they do things, so I thought I would start one on how you design or decide on the parts of your quilt. Hard to explain the question well, so here is my process: I determine the overall pattern I want to make. I get inspiration from Pinterest, websites, quilt magazines, etc. I then design the quilt using EQ8. Next, I select the fabric either from my stash, or by purchase. I then re-work the quilt in EQ 8 using the fabric, or close representations of the fabric I selected. (too lazy to scan it, size it etc.) Next step is to determine how to make the blocks. Can I use my rulers to make sub blocks and minimize the number of seams? I next determine the cutting list for a block, then refine the list to very specific cut list for each fabric. After cutting the fabric I determine which sub blocks to chain piece, and make all the sub units. Then I lay out a block and determine method for piecing the blocks. Next I piece any sashing, setting blocks, and borders. Complete the sandwich, and then determine the quilting pattern. I developed this method over time, and it seems to work well for me. What is your process?
Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

You are very disciplined.

I tend to start in the center, work out to the edges, and hope for the best.

This is with scrap/scrappy type of things.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM

Since I'm trying to downsize my stash and not add more quilts to my collection, most of my projects go to charity.
So my procedure is: 1) use fabric from my stash, including the back & binding; 2) from the fabric available, how large will the final project be; 3) how many blocks can be used efficiently from this fabric, 4) block size (6", 8, 10, 12 etc) and the block format (3x4, 4x5, 5x7 ect); find a block that will enable me to make the quilt in 1 day; 5) do anymore math necessary & make rough drawing; 6) decide on how it'll be quilted to decide how large the back need be; 7)figure out and strip and string piecing; 8) cut all parts starting the largest pieces first (back, binding, strips for strip piecing, block pieces); 9) make blocks, then top, attach label, sandwich/quilt, bind.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I see a pattern I like and want to make so I decide the colors, buy what I don't have, and start. I don't overthink it.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
You are very disciplined.

I tend to start in the center, work out to the edges, and hope for the best.

This is with scrap/scrappy type of things.
My kind of quilter!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 PM

I see a pattern I like in a magazine or online, then figure out who I’d like to make it for. About 90% of mine are for donation. So I find fabric suitable for recipient in my mind. I have almost never followed a pattern, but draw up my own sketch based on The inspiration quilt.

I spend a lot of time at the design board, tweaking and fussing, taking pictures, standing back to study it, walk away, revisit my choices. And finally start piecing. After the top is done, I wish the whole thing was done, and a debate ensues internally about whether I like this quilt or was it a big mistake, but alas, I persevere. Of course more motivation is needed for sandwiching, more inspiration for quilting, and then a jolt of discipline to make binding. Then I hand bind it over a few TV shows or a couple movies.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM

I pull out my fabrics, scraps, and leftover bits and start to play. Sometimes I stitch things together, cut them up and put them back together...when I get something I like that is big enough I sandwich it and start doodle quilting.

Rob
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM

I usually start by gathering a group of fabrics and thinking about what sort of mood or aesthetic they convey. I then look through all of my saved patterns and on line until I find a suitable one (I'm not really interested in learning to draft patterns -- there are so many skilled designers out there). Sometimes a group of fabrics will sit for a long time before I find the perfect pattern. I do a ton of editing of my fabrics as I get familiar with the pattern. I take photos at every stage, which often result in more changes being made. The camera is essential because my design wall is in a small room and I can't get far enough away from it to get a long view, which I think is indispensable for making design decisions.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I see a pattern I like and want to make so I decide the colors, buy what I don't have, and start. I don't overthink it.
I am more in Onebyone's group. I see a pattern or quilt I like and thinking of my stash, look for a pattern or tutorial (nearly always on line) that would use work with what I have, gather my fabrics and start. I do much better if I have specific instructions. Not so much winging it as my math skills leave something to be desired. As I get older I find the simpler the better, the less pieces to cut - the less fabrics to choose the better for me. Some days I am truly tempted to just grab a couple yards of one fabric, sandwich it, quilt it and be done! Haven't yet but it is in the back of my head.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:28 AM

I wing everything. I never make a plan just see some pattern I like and do my own thing. I either have colors in mind and go buy or try and use stash. Right now I'm into doing Collage and landscape pieces. Again I just start and hope it all comes out OK...so far so good my College Seahorse has been posted.