Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 AM
WMUTeach

I have no magic solutions either. But when any space, whether it is sewing room, bedroom, kitchen, living room or garage starts to bother me and my eyes see mess. I stop! Right when I realize the state of my space is awful and messy, I take time to clean up. Ten to fifteen minutes is more than enough time to "clean up the mess." I begin by putting away materials not needed for the project I have at hand. It start with large cuts of fabric, tools, then scraps. I put all of the materials for one project together. If multiple projects are going on, put all of the fabric, pattern or blocks together in a pile, a zip lock bag. Then into a bin of current projects. That will generally give me space to "breath" and I can concentrate on finishing one project before moving on to the next and the next.

I try, emphasis on try, to do a mini clean up at the end of each day or sewing session like many of you have mentioned. Creative minds tend to wander down rabbit trails creating. I honestly have started to gently tell myself to not have so many projects going on at the same time. Even forbidding myself from starting new projects. I have been mildly successful. If the good idea is still there in a few days, by then, I can pursue it. I like the feeling of creating so much, and I suspect the same with many of us, that I get caught up with new ideas, patterns and techniques too easily. The discipline of self-control seems to get hidden in my undisciplined piles of fabric and wonderful ideas. I do find my self-control more often now and that feels good too.

It is now time to clean up after myself so my current projects can get reorganized and finished.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-23-2019 at 03:28 AM.