Old 08-11-2019, 10:45 AM
meyert

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I haven't tried the glue basting method but I do spray baste and no pins, or just a few before I get a few "stabilizing" rows quilted down. It took me decades to get the right technique to perfectly spray baste with not too much and not too little and not over spraying but now that I have it, I am using it.

My house is small and I have to do my basting on my queen sized bed, which makes basting a queen sized quilt a bit challenging... but usually the "short" side of the quilt is about the length of the bed so I do it that direction in sections.

I have rolls of heavy kraft paper that I use as a work surface. Although I could get by with two, I use three pieces for more firmness. Although I usually start by putting the bottom layer to the batting layer first, you can do it top layer first. Make sure before you put on the back that the front is the way you want... and then flip it over again and double check once the back is on.

Have you ever considered pool noodles? They are on sale now here. Do a google on "pool noodles for quilting" for videos or we have threads here about people's results. My friend uses the wood dowels instead, but she has a place to store them and a large house.
I will have to google the pool noodle technique.. I have never tried that - thanks