Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does it have to be the backing on the bottom for basting? >

does it have to be the backing on the bottom for basting?

does it have to be the backing on the bottom for basting?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I just tried glue basting for the first time in more than 30 years of quilting and I am here to tell you it is the best I have ever been able to manage. So much neater and stronger that spray basting and so much quicker than pin basting and no rusty pins if I don't get to it right away. No blistered fingers either. In fact I have one quilt that is pinned and ready to to quilt and I will be taking it out and glue basting it with out a doubt. You may be happier with your t-shirt quilt doing it this way.
The fastest, easiest, most stable method to use. If you are using your home machine, you do not need to add tons of extra inches because it does not move around. Very stable!! Make sure you use a light hand, drizzle instead of pour and smooth out any blobs you may have.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 AM

You could tape it to a table and let it hang over the side (let gravity be your friend) while you baste the first section, then just remove the tape and slide the basted end over the side and work on the other end.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM

I use a sheet of plywood on my ironing board to extend my space. I don't have any trouble with my quilt sandwich shifting. I use it every time.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
good point!! I had not thought of the safety pins.... hmmm wonder what else I had not thought of??

I could glue baste I suppose???
I use Candy Glendening's Column quilting which allows me to quilt any size quilt easily as the work is always to the left of the needle. I did alter the backing a bit.. I make it in once piece and have it in a roll to the right of the needle. It's not all that bulky and works well. I also allow a good 1/2" on the edge where the next column will be added, as I like a bit more room. I've used sashing and no sashing.. I've done quilts as big as 120" with no problem. Not to mention the money I have saved on Long Arm fees.
Again, 505 Temp Spray Baste is my lifesaver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU

If the quilt is small enough to have in one piece, I use Sharon Schambers method for basting, except I now use 505 Temporary Spray Baste, instead of the herringbone stitch. It's terrific. I use pre-painted baseboards (1" x 2' x 6), which I got at home depot. I clip the quilt edge to a table but it could be taped to a floor as you spray. Fast, easy and the quilt holds together forever, or until I get around to quilting. The spray basting eliminates the pinning (which to me is a hassle) and extra weight of a billion pins, and holds together as I quilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Bernamom.........this is an excellent way to baste a large quilt. Works and no need to spread entire quilt out flat.