View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM
cathyvv

Default Different kind of thread problem

As I get older, my hands don't 'feel' as well as they used to. This is because of an inherited peripheral neuropathy. Don't feel bad for me; I am one of the lucky ones with this condition; it has progressed slowly and I've done everything I wanted to do in life.

My problem is a recent one: I use Connecting Threads Polyester cones for quilting on my long arm. It works fine for quilting. It is wound on a lightweight plastic cone. My hands don't grip like they used to, so the cones have taken to falling out of my hands, to the floor. When the cone hits the floor, the hard, brittle plastic of the cone shatters. When that happens I can't use the thread to wind a bobbin or quilt a quilt. It makes a terrible thread mess.

If the cone was near the end of the the thread, who cares, right? However, when it's a new cone. I tried winding bobbins with the thread on the broken cones - that was a disaster. Any suggestions on ways to use the thread after the cone is broken?

My brain has worked out a way to prevent it from happening in the future. Basically, hold the cone in firmly one hand and grab it securely with the other below it. Now if only I can remember to do it!

Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps