Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different kind of thread problem >

Different kind of thread problem

Different kind of thread problem

Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Different kind of thread problem

As I get older, my hands don't 'feel' as well as they used to. This is because of an inherited peripheral neuropathy. Don't feel bad for me; I am one of the lucky ones with this condition; it has progressed slowly and I've done everything I wanted to do in life.

My problem is a recent one: I use Connecting Threads Polyester cones for quilting on my long arm. It works fine for quilting. It is wound on a lightweight plastic cone. My hands don't grip like they used to, so the cones have taken to falling out of my hands, to the floor. When the cone hits the floor, the hard, brittle plastic of the cone shatters. When that happens I can't use the thread to wind a bobbin or quilt a quilt. It makes a terrible thread mess.

If the cone was near the end of the the thread, who cares, right? However, when it's a new cone. I tried winding bobbins with the thread on the broken cones - that was a disaster. Any suggestions on ways to use the thread after the cone is broken?

My brain has worked out a way to prevent it from happening in the future. Basically, hold the cone in firmly one hand and grab it securely with the other below it. Now if only I can remember to do it!

Thanks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I would put anti-fatigue mats (the cushiony mats you stand on) all around my LA area so you don't break the cone when you drop it. My LA is in a carpeted room so no damage done if I drop anything, including the bobbin case which can also be easily damaged from a drop on a hard surface. I have never had that happen (the plastic core break) but I don't use CT poly thread, not a big fan. I much prefer Glide or Isacord for a 40wt poly.

Edited to add, can you use the broken core thread on your domestic with a cone stand for piecing?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

​If possible, I would put an empty old cone inside the broken one.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 PM

I would certainly bring this to connecting threads attention, surely something the designers/engineers have not taken into consideration. Could be dangerous to pets and children at the very least.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Is the whole spool broken inside? If not, take a cone to the hardware store. Find a size of pvc that will fit inside the spool. There are also round end caps that you could glue on the end.

If you can find a cap for serger thread cones that might work also. Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I quit buying CT cones because they would break and fall apart even if dropped on carpet. The cone spools are super brittle so it doesn't take much to break the wide end of one. I got so frustrated I just tossed the whole thing and gave the rest of the spools away.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM

I feel your frustration, cathyvv. When you lose the feeling in your fingers, lots of things are really hard to do. I can no longer feel thread between my finger and thumb, so it makes threading a needle or tying a knot really tricky.

Regarding the spools shattering, I got hold of some cheaply made bobbins once, and it took several of them coming apart when full of Aurifil thread, for me to just toss the whole lot of them. The machine wound the thin thread on the bobbin so tight and full, they just popped! Can't put that thing back together!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 AM

I have received some that were broken in shipping. They did replace them but I have dropped a few and they broke off. I have had some success turning them upside down on the longarm . Just break the rest of the part even with bottom of spool so that thread doesn't get cut on sharp edges.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM

Now there is an idea! Thanks, I will try that.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​If possible, I would put an empty old cone inside the broken one.
that's exactly what I was thinking, also contact CT and see what they suggest - let them know how fragle the cones are - maybe they will replace it.