Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coloring on Fabric >

Coloring on Fabric

Coloring on Fabric

Old 08-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Coloring on Fabric

I've heard about people coloring with either crayons or colored pencils on fabric. Are there any special rules to follow? What is the best fabric to use? Will regular crayons (not fabric crayons) and pencils work? Lastly, is there any special preparation? TIA
Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 PM

I have always used fabric crayons on pre-washed fabrics. I have also drawn pictures I want on my computer then used fabric on freezer paper and put it through the ink jet printer. I love scanning my gd's art work then printing it out on fabric and heat setting it.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

There are YouTube videos on colouring fabric with crayola crayons. I believe the shape is coloured in with a white crayon first and then the colours.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM

I took a class, and was taught that you color a little, then heat set it, color a little more, then heat set. I think we just put a piece of paper between the iron and the fabric. Make sure you're using crayons that aren't "washable." We just used regular Crayola crayons, not fabric crayons. Moda makes a white "PFD" (Prepared For Dying) Bella #97. Or wash the fabric to remove the sizing.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

Terrie Kygar, author of Creative Quilts from Your Crayon Box, spoke and gave a class at my guild in Oregon. https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Quil...gateway&sr=8-2
She has a creative method for using crayons on quilts. This video shows her method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN41E2Akto
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Many years ago a woman named Jean Ray Laurie (something like that) taught and wrote a book on this very subject. The thing I loved about her technique was the fact she would use items under the fabric to create texture. Afterwards she would have you heat set the colors. The largest one I ever saw her do was a maybe 6 or 8 block quilt for a child. She also encouraged you to reapply the crayons if you saw they were fading. This was originally on Simply Quilts so you know how long ago that was!
Old 08-11-2019, 04:47 AM

Meg Hawkey from Crabapple Hill has a tutorial for both crayon and colored pencil on her site. She has lots of beautiful hand work and patterns.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:54 AM

I know of 2 people who specialize in those techniques.
1) Crayons - Tana Mueller www.westerndenimanddirt.com She is an awesome teacher & designs for Blank Quilting also. I recently took a class from her on coloring on cloth with crayons.
2) Pencils - Irena Bluhm she's got mutiple books on longarm techniques, but she's got one called Quilts of a Different Color addressing nothing but doing an entire quilt by coloring it with colored pencils. It's excellent.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM

I have experimented with crayons. I just quilted the areas I wanted to colour on pre-washed cotton and then coloured in the lines. I then put another piece of fabric over top and ironed to pull the wax out and heat set the colour.

This is how it turned out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615935[/ATTACH]

Watson
Attached Thumbnails crayon.jpg  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 AM

My older sister was a trained artist and taught me a lot how to do a variety of painting, coloring and drawing, along with sculpting and doing abstract art. She suddenly passed away in 2005, and I miss her terribly. However, it is always good to share her expertise with others.

I have done a lot of coloring on white fabric, and here is what I learned from her - first wash your fabric to clear it from all the chemicals they use in the process of manufacturing, once it is washed and dried, press it onto the wax side of freezer paper, next cut it out the same size of your inkjet printer paper. Draw your design onto the fabric, or copy a picture onto the white fabric - you can find lots of free drawing on the internet - ie,. childrens coloring book picture etc.. You can purchase "Derwent Intense Pencils" or crayola crayons. If you use the intense pencils you will need to use the outliner pencil on all the edges of each item in your picture, to keep the colors in their boundaries, and if you lightly spray a mist of water on the picture once you are done, the intense colors will become more vibrant. It is always a good idea to apply color in a circular motion, rather than straight lines. Then let your picture dry, and heat seal the picture. I like to use a light coat using a small paintbrush to apply a Martha Stewart's medium, it puts on a coat to seal in the color. The crayola crayons instructions from the other ladies is also another way to complete your fabric coloring. Watson above showed a great example of her work using crayons.