View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Sephie

Default Dritz Basting Spray - How to remove?

Short version: I got some basting spray on my finger and I can't figure out how to wash it off my fingernail. Soap and water isn't working. Also, if I'm having this much trouble getting it off my finger, I'm glad I'm not using it in my quilt!

Remember the recent thread about different adhesives and sprays washing out of fabric? Yeah.

You can stop here if you don't want to read the long version

Long version: I just got a brand new Silhouette Cameo 3 and have been playing with it. Loving it so far. There is a bit of a learning curve, and I learned something new today: don't put your fabric on the mat with the fusible side down (no paper). I mean, I read this in one of the tutorials online, but I forgot. Today is one of those days where you just can't do anything right.

The mat will take some of the fusible off the fabric even if you fused it correctly. So I also read that you could wash the mat with water (some say soap is ok too, but I didn't use it) and the mat would magically be "like new" again. Well, after it dried, it wasn't nearly as sticky anymore and I was afraid to try it and end up with tangled fabric inside the new machine. So, I taped up the edges with painter's tape and took it outside to spray it with basting spray (as other tutorials recommended!). Figures the wind would blow it off the ground, so after that happened twice, I just picked it up to spray it. Spray got on my thumb during that process, and now here I am, unable to remove it.

I'll go try some rubbing alcohol. In the meantime, any other ideas?