Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dritz Basting Spray - How to remove? >

Dritz Basting Spray - How to remove?

Dritz Basting Spray - How to remove?

Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Dritz Basting Spray - How to remove?

Short version: I got some basting spray on my finger and I can't figure out how to wash it off my fingernail. Soap and water isn't working. Also, if I'm having this much trouble getting it off my finger, I'm glad I'm not using it in my quilt!

Remember the recent thread about different adhesives and sprays washing out of fabric? Yeah.

You can stop here if you don't want to read the long version

Long version: I just got a brand new Silhouette Cameo 3 and have been playing with it. Loving it so far. There is a bit of a learning curve, and I learned something new today: don't put your fabric on the mat with the fusible side down (no paper). I mean, I read this in one of the tutorials online, but I forgot. Today is one of those days where you just can't do anything right.

The mat will take some of the fusible off the fabric even if you fused it correctly. So I also read that you could wash the mat with water (some say soap is ok too, but I didn't use it) and the mat would magically be "like new" again. Well, after it dried, it wasn't nearly as sticky anymore and I was afraid to try it and end up with tangled fabric inside the new machine. So, I taped up the edges with painter's tape and took it outside to spray it with basting spray (as other tutorials recommended!). Figures the wind would blow it off the ground, so after that happened twice, I just picked it up to spray it. Spray got on my thumb during that process, and now here I am, unable to remove it.

I'll go try some rubbing alcohol. In the meantime, any other ideas?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Do you have any vodka in the house? Or rubbing alcohol?

Here's a funny article (or at least I think it's funny)
http://sewbeckyjo.com/how-to-clean-spray-baste/
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Nail polish remover.

bkay
Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

on your finger? maybe peanut butter???
Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 PM

I use vegetable oil or goo gone to get sticky residue off.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:38 PM

I use nail polish remover. I have used basting sprays for many years and I am here to tell you after trying the school glue I will never go back.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM

I have used Murphys Oil Soap when i accidentally got overspray all over my kitchen counter when spray basting a tablerunner. Took it right off with no scrubbing

I dont use the spray baste anymore due to it triggering migraines (even using it outside) - also because of the above problem, but migraines are my #1 reason. I buy fusible batting now and love it!

When i did use the spray, i always made sure to use double the amount of liquid Downy in the rinse. That seemed to breakdown the adhesive (although i cant absolutely prove it). Even when i use the fusible batting these days i still add liquid Downey to the rinse and everything is soft & fluffy!

So that’s my story and i’m stickin’ to it! 😊
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Sorry, i was not clear above (and dont know how to edit what i have posted)!

I meant to be more clear about washing the quilt for the first time - when i did i used twice the normal amount of Downy in the rinse 😊
Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 PM

Thanks, everyone! The rubbing alcohol worked once I scrubbed my finger with a washcloth soaked in the alcohol. I don't use it for basting since I glue baste, but I spray basted my very first quilt with it and it was a miserable experience. Still have the silly thing around and I wonder why every time I look at it!

I sure felt silly having spray baste on my thumbnail so I thank you all wholeheartedly for the advice.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Sephie, you can use a spray baste adhesive (not a permanent one) to re-sticky your mates for your Cameo. You do need to use a paper backed fusible on your fabric to run through the cutter. I have found that cutting batiks work better than some of the looser woven cottons.