Old 08-20-2019, 03:56 AM
Onebat

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
One thing that helps me when I work on large art pieces that do not receive a backing till done is to fuse a thin interfacing to the batting. This adds no weight and makes sliding the work on the sewing surface a little easier.
This Is a great idea - especially as I just came back to update that the top layer (100% linen with a light starch) is ending up half an inch back from the 100% cotton batting over a 3ft run, with all the pins pulling! Same result with and without my Janome acufeed and with foot pressure high and low

It actually looks as though it's the *linen* that's being pulled back rather than the batting. But that can't be right, can it, if it's also happening without the acufeed?

Stranger and stranger... I guess I can live with it - but definitely oing to try with interfacing first.

@Illinois - I'll be doing a little bit more quilting here and there once the backing is on to hold it in place - but it will effectively be tying - ie much more forgiving in terms of wrinkles over a large area. I hope this will mitigate wear!

Agree tying would be much easier but they are giant picture quilts and the quilt lines are part of the design - eg they give perspective, mimic tiling etc. Complicated!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-20-2019 at 05:17 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps