View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM
OurWorkbench

Thank you, mea for getting back to us with information from the Singer technician.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
... I do wish it had another thread guide, though.
Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
After sewing on this one for a few days, I can see why you say that about wanting an extra thread-guide. ...
I'm curious as to why this is. If so where would you like it to be? Some day I need to fashion one as the top front one is broken off of my 237.

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
I bought class 15 bobbins at joann's and they don't fit so very well...have to really press hard on the spindle and then the bobbin winder paddle doesn't fit inside the bobbin.....
I've heard a lot about new bobbins not quite right for vintage machines. I know they now have 15 and 15J plastic bobbins. I was kind of surprised to see that according to http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/bobbins/ that the 237 takes plastic 15 bobbins. It does not say which 15 plastic bobbin. According a parts file I have the bobbins are 81348 for the 237M23. When I put that number in search I got https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bo...0pk-81348.aspx which says it is guaranteed to fit, along with 237, the 15-30. That would seem to indicate that it is the flat top and bottom bobbins, not the ones that seem to be a little domed or thinned edges.

Welcome, Kissamew. Thank you, too, for the information from singersewinginfo.

Originally Posted by Kissamew View Post
... Most of the manuals I came across showed a knob switch on the front of the machine, below the stitch length lever. The one I purchased does not have that....
I was curious about that and was wondering if it might be that the drop feed knob had been broken off. Then I looked at the manuals I have for the 237. Some of them, I don't seem to be able to find a date. Those without the date have the drop feed knob on the bed of the machine. However, I have one that is dated 1967 shows a machine without the drop feed and used a feed cover plate for Free Motion Work.

I also noticed another difference between the 1967 manual and the later ones. The bobbin tension was in a different place. On the early one it was in the middle of the arm, whereas, the later one was above the thread guide above the tension assembly.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-19-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links