Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 AM
Mitty

Originally Posted by Slpmama123 View Post
This is only my second quilt I've ever made. Aside from squaring up and trimming threads, I'm done with the top. So now I'm trying to figure out how to quilt it.I originally thought I could just stitch in the ditch vertically up the strips and then on each edge of the border. But now I'm reading I need horizontal stitches as well? Is that true? If so, could I just do a few stitches at the top of each rectangle (8 1/2" inches tall)? Or does it need to go across the whole width of the quilt?
Assuming that the flannel is made from wool or cotton (i.e. not synthetic), I would quilt it like a cotton or wool batting, which is generally a minimum of 3 or 4 inches apart.

I know others have said that it is necessary to put in "horizontal" quilting and not just have quilting lines in one direction, but I don't quite understand that myself. Quilts made with ties have just tacks at points and no lines at all, and they hold up just fine, so I don't understand why having lines in just one direction wouldn't work, since that's actually more quilting than a tied quilt. If someone wants to explain that to me, I'd appreciate it.