Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Newbie quilter-quilting on home sewing machine questions >
  • Newbie quilter-quilting on home sewing machine questions

• Newbie quilter-quilting on home sewing machine questions

Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 AM

You are pinning more than I do so I think you are fine in that regard, I try for the "can't put your hand down" so a pin every 4-5 inches. The hard thing with pin basting is getting the tension of the fabrics right, I found it worked best when I had my big table (or could use the conference table at work), letting gravity help me keep the sides down and straight while I worked on my nice smooth work surface. I'd use canned goods or other weights to help hold things in place.

I really prefer to spray baste, many people here also use glue and swear by it but I haven't tried it yet.

You are making the quilt with love and it shows. Some of our unhappiness with quilting is because we are so close to the work and we know the perfection we strive for, other people not so much they just see the love or see the blanket and not the quilting.

Quilting is not my strong suit, I'm much better at piecing and I am at awe of some of our board members and what they can do. I just don't think in that way. I'm finishing up a donation quilt and had any number of problems with the quilting, I will have to take out some areas and redo them but before I got crazy and took out all the stitching I decided to go ahead and wash the top, and most of my issues are gone. Yes, there are still areas I will have to redo but for me that redistribution of the top/bottom/batting/thread after washing saved me once again.

LOL, while we are piecing we can tell ourselves that we can "quilt that out" if there is a bulge in the block or whatever. Then while I'm quilting I keep telling myself that "it will wash out" and usually it does... or close enough.
    Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    You are pinning more than I do so I think you are fine in that regard, I try for the "can't put your hand down" so a pin every 4-5 inches. The hard thing with pin basting is getting the tension of the fabrics right, I found it worked best when I had my big table (or could use the conference table at work), letting gravity help me keep the sides down and straight while I worked on my nice smooth work surface. I'd use canned goods or other weights to help hold things in place.

I really prefer to spray baste, many people here also use glue and swear by it but I haven't tried it yet.

You are making the quilt with love and it shows. Some of our unhappiness with quilting is because we are so close to the work and we know the perfection we strive for, other people not so much they just see the love or see the blanket and not the quilting.

Quilting is not my strong suit, I'm much better at piecing and I am at awe of some of our board members and what they can do. I just don't think in that way. I'm finishing up a donation quilt and had any number of problems with the quilting, I will have to take out some areas and redo them but before I got crazy and took out all the stitching I decided to go ahead and wash the top, and most of my issues are gone. Yes, there are still areas I will have to redo but for me that redistribution of the top/bottom/batting/thread after washing saved me once again.

LOL, while we are piecing we can tell ourselves that we can "quilt that out" if there is a bulge in the block or whatever. Then while I'm quilting I keep telling myself that "it will wash out" and usually it does... or close enough.
    I like the way you think! I just keep reminding myself that my friend will appreciate an imperfect homemade gift with lots of "quirks" than anything perfectly made from the store.

I pinned so close together because I'm using minky as the back. The minky isn't getting nearly as many puckers but I think I pulled the minky tighter than the top when I basted so the different tensions idea makes sense.