View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AprilM View Post
So excited for you, origamigoldfish!!!

On the subject of a place to iron... i was shocked that i didnt have to buy a thing when i finally got to putting my room together. I already had a “big board” which i was using on top of my regular ironing board. That was a pretty wobbly situation which i only used when i needed to iron yardage - then it was stored behind the door to my sewing room. Not exactly an ideal situation but it worked.

When i started pulling all of those storage tubs outta the closet that i bought in the late 90’s, i realized that i bought 2 of each size. Hmmm... i stacked 3 up and found that to be the perfect height for some kind of table. But then... i wondered - could this be the birth of my ironing station? It was! The Big Board had rails on the underside to keep it from sliding off the ironing board, so i positioned the outter most ends of the two stacks of storage tubs so that the rails could easily slide forward/backward if needed, but still remain in one place unless you wanted to move it. Once that was done i realized that i had just enough room in the center underneath to stack my Super Satchels! What a glorious day and i didnt even spend any money! 

From that point the Happy Place just took on a life of its own! I rummaged around in the tubs and found the purple/blue/pink batik yardage that i had been hoarding since the late 90’s for such an occasion! After a lot of anxious measuring and plotting and planning 若 i realized that i had just enough fabric to make a matching washable cover for the big board and also valances for two windows with just a little leftover! The really cool part (for me) was also that fabric was used in my first and only blue ribbon wallhanging of a goldfinch on a thistle! At that point the light was green and everything just came together  my husband found somebody to paint my room and by the time the paint dried, the ironing board cover and the valances were completed! I finally had my Happy Place! Machines, work tables, etc just went together after that!

Here is a little better photo of my ironing station showing the storage tubs doing double duty! If i need something in the tubs i just lift off the board. If i need to iron yardage, i just slide the board forward and allow the unironed fabric to fall to the floor in back while i iron and pull more fabric to the front as i go. Behind the tubs i have a storage between the back of the tubs and the wall where i keep a huge quilting “go bag” and other larger items out of sight. The power strip in plugged into the outlet behind the table and pulled to the front.
How clever...My biggest problem to this is keeping the horizontal surface free so that I could iron on it!