Old 10-27-2019, 06:26 AM
klswift

First - when you donate it, it is gone - out of your control and you must accept that it may not get the money that it is worth. You may get lucky and the fundraiser has folks that understand and appreciate the work - but that would be unusual. You must just accept it as giving it away. I tend to make throw/tv/game size quilts about 54" x 54" (depending on the pattern). This is also the size that I sell for a decent price. Larger than that will rarely get the money it deserves. But, I do fairly simple patterns (keeping my time required down), my quilting fairly simple (again time) and NEVER buy material at retail price. Guarantee that if you buy retail, you will never recoup your money. Save that for your gift quilts. (Example of buying - this friday I will go on the hunt for all the halloween fabric I can find for next year. Most will be 80% off - both in stores and online. I will be paying around $2.50 per yard for fabric that was $13 per yard - some online sites will be even cheaper for 3+ yard pieces)