View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Iceblossom

Well... it happens that just last week one of the ladies in my small group gave me some of the light sensitive blueprint type fabric, she didn't store it well (took it out of the black bag) so it might not be reactive any more. And I've done quite a bit with screens and leaves and ferns and nature shapes as well as natural dyes. I'm guessing my dying phase was for about 5 years closer to 30 years ago, it's been awhile!

I'm just really lucky that I didn't get caught up in stamping stuff, I'm seeing tons of those in big bags for cheap at the thrift stores. My son and I did use things like vegetables and cooky cutters and things like that.

I've been looking at that collection and I'm thinking I will need to change "Neutral" with "Yellow" and use an artificial dye. The lady in my group is going to see what/if any she has in "yellow tinted tan to bright school bus + orange" for me.

I pulled out the batik and was surprised by my immediate and definite no way! While I do have some hand dyes in my batik box that I can use (especially a good green), can't happily use a pattern with those hand dyes even subtle.

Originally I was thinking of a thick block log cabin with those hand dyes, just picked it up as a bag too good to pass up and then came along this project.

PS: This desire to mess with things started before quilting. I think it was phosphates in detergents which are no longer allowed and that fluoresced very brightly. You could thin Tide (and other detergents) with water and paint designs on a white wall that only showed in black light... and then there was the lemon water notes (shows up when you heat the page).

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-03-2019 at 09:11 AM.