Old 11-04-2019, 06:36 AM
bkay

SueZQ, I would not make that machine my first vintage machine, unless you just want to collect vintage machines. It's pretty old for a usable machine (not that it's not usable - it will work and probably makes a pretty stitch). I think most of us who rave about (and use) our vintage machines are using machines from the 40's, 50's and early 60's.

When I first got the "vintage machine bug", I bought several machines because they were such a good buy (mostly at auction). I had craigslist.org and the goodwill auction site on my bookmarks toolbar. I think I had 20 something machines before it dawned on me that this was nuts. I didn't have time to rehab them, the garage was full of them and I was still sewing on the same one I had before I started down that road. I had bought mostly Singers, but a few other brands as well.

I would suggest you think about what you want to do with the machines. Most people who buy vintage machines have a certain type they like. This is one where I bought a machine and then decided it wasn't for me and I wasn't ever going to do anything with it: Old QB post. I gifted it to Glenn, who loves treadles and hand-cranks. He did a wonderful job of rehabbing the machine and he actually uses that type of machine. They aren't just for looks at his house.

I have thinned my collection and now only have the mid-century Singers (still too many of them). Those are the ones I enjoy, and the parts are readily available. I've sold some, parted out some and given some away. I'm now down to ten.

This is just my opinion based on mistakes I made when I got the bug. I'm not sure you ever get over that bug, but at least I'm not coming home with machines every week. I've only bought one machine this year and have given away two. So, I'm making progress.

bkay