View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Iceblossom

Well, the hand dyes have been quite a bit of work to stabilize but I'm getting there. Red is done, complete with ironing. Definitely lighter and brighter now than when I started.

I'm using more of dark/medium/light for the dark blue/medium blue/aqua, and my fabrics are ranging from green to blue to purple to black, stabilizing the dye is actually helping them go together a bit better as I'm deliberately blending the pieces in the first boiling water bath. Darks are taking two dunks (plus rinse) in boiling water, plus a salt/vinegar bath and rinse, and finally one last heat treat in the microwave before running in the washing machine with a color catcher just to see. I really find heat treating works best, or at least did with my usually natural dyes.

I'm out of vinegar and my car is in the shop so will need to go out before I can continue but hubby home soon. I'm thinking with the aqua/green I will prewash in the washing machine first but will still need to do the rest of the heat treating.

Haven't begun the yellow yet, that will be a day on it's own.