View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 AM
Iceblossom

Don't back out SusieQOH -- you can do it! Most of what I'm using is also more in the fat quarter to yardage range as well.

I'm on day two on fixing the hand dyes. Got red and dark yesterday, working on medium and aqua today. The rest of the Parakeet will be worked on with the yellows and get some yellow over dye. While some did become so mottled as to read almost solid, I was very happy with how most of them came out.

Sort of a mean thing to do, I think donating these untreated fabrics but at least I was the one who got the bag and knows what to do. Typically you do make a lot of fabric and then only use the best pieces, so I was figuring from the start that these were the left overs. The dyer did use nice yardage and it is washing well. Prewashing is taking out the starch or whatever was in them. Still losing color after the pre-wash and boiling water dip, but I don't think I need two dips like I did with the un-prewashed darks yesterday. Will still need the vinegar/salt boil and the microwave treatment before getting washed yet again! But my color catchers are barely turning color in that final wash.

I have my biggest kettle on the stove with boiling water and my biggest pyrex bowl. I dip out the boiling water and let the pieces sit in it until the refilled kettle comes to boiling again, and then I rinse until clear. Today's pieces are somewhat large and I'm only getting two per pyrex bowl. I'll probably have two batches for the vinegar bath.

Then with what is in the wash now, probably three more after that... it's a day's worth of boiling but at least it's cheap and I'm still home without a car so now is the perfect time for it.

And I still haven't touched yellow yet! Nor the other half/two-thirds of the bag that will also need treatment.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-15-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: clarifications