View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Iceblossom

I did think about the bleach pen... when I pulled out my subtle batiks they were still too patterned for me with the home dyes. A lot of what I really would like to do is too patterned to go with the other fabrics. but I've picked up some odds and ends at the thrift stores to help sprinkle a bit of color and keep messing with this stuff if I want. Got sponges and squirt bottles and things from the dollar store so have all sorts of possibilities that way too. Back when I was actively playing with dying things, I loved doing work on screens which of course I bought at garage sales or thrift stores. The panels that go over a screen door to protect against critters and kids can be used in all sorts of cool ways. I'm about to start slowly today by taking a piece of my prepared washed/damp white piece of fabric and slicing a raw beet on it, folding the fabric over the top and weighing it down for awhile. I don't know how well it will transfer, so will check in at like 15 minutes. I'm going to try using the peels in little bits on a piece of the parakeet green at the same time as well. It might stain deep, it might not stain at all... but beets require very little effort to turn into dye.

I'm also going to check my penny jar for old pennies to use in once batch of the tie dye, copper is a mordant and can do some funky things, so bind the rubber band around the penny in a large dot/ring outcome. Modern pennies are mostly zinc, but pennies before 1962 are worth more as copper than they are as coins, and between 1962-1982 should still give me enough for a reaction. I think. Again, don't know until I try and it all depends on a lot of factors.

I did get the shaving cream at the dollar store, and my husband who is like the most non-crafty guy there is ever says, oh yeah, like for dying easter eggs? I looked at him stunned and he says that facebook takes him all sorts of places, maybe it was "things you never knew you could do" sort of video.