View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Tish05

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Your quilt is fabulous! I enjoyed seeing the details of your quilting. I am curious about the fireside fleece. Did you find it easy to work with as a backing? I would love to try it on my next quilt. Also, did you quilt on a domestic sewing machine or long arm? You have inspired me to try a panel as your design ideas are splendid!
Thank you so much for your response. I do all my piecing and quilting on a Janome 9400 which my mom and I bought together just before I started on this quilting journey this year. I love the features of the machine and the larger harp space (11") helps a lot. I don't think I can make a comparison between the fireside fleece and a cotton back. The only quilting I've done with a cotton back was the borders on this quilt. The center of the quilt was made on my embroidery machine and the borders were pieced and added after, so more like a QAYG so not a lot of bulk to work with anyway:
Honeycomb Quilt

I really like how cozy the fireside is. It does make the quilt heavy, but it is very forgiving as a backing because the stitches sink in so I haven't had any issues with tension. My LQS has a long arm and she says that longarmers love the fireside as well, but that's the limit of my experience with it.