Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Honeycomb Quilt

Honeycomb Quilt

I finished my first quilt and I'm pretty happy with the results. I used the Honeycomb Quilt design from Anita Goodesign (medium size). It's not what you would consider a traditional quilt, but I thought people who do machine embroidery might appreciate it
    I made the hexis in the hoop, with embroidery thread in the bobbin since it would show on the back, using battilizer for the stabilizer/batting. Borrowing an idea from corset making, I sewed the hexis together with the seam allowances to the front and covered them by hand with bias. The quilt is queen sized (laying on a king sized bed in the picture). All the center honeycombs are from the design files from Anita Goodesign. I used my digitizing program to adjust some of the designs so that I had some plain hexis and partials to square up the center of the quilt, then made the borders with the sewing machine and attached them to the top, like a "quilt-as-you-go". I've attached pictures of front and back. My only disappointment is that I got the hair-brained idea to make some of the backs in different colours, like you see with a real honeycomb. I guess I just don't do random very well, so I wish I had used all the same backing fabric. Thank you for looking.
    Name:  Honeycomb Front.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  577.6 KBName:  Honeycomb center.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  475.8 KB Name:  Honeycomb Back.jpg
Size:  602.9 KB

Your quilt is just fabulous. Love the pictures with all the details. Perhaps you will attend one of the AG events and bring your quilt for Show N Tell.

ETA: It is always interesting to see these designs stitched using different fabrics than the ones shown in their catalog. Thanks!

I love your quilt. And the way you made it big enough to fit the bed was perfect.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Wow! That's your first quilt? It's wonderful!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    ​Both sides are beautiful! I like the lighter hexagons on the back, they add interest.

Blog Entries
    wow, that's a stunning quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

That's a fantastic quilt! I really enjoyed seeing all your embroidery on it.
    Penny

Well you definitely are not a novice at 'sewing'...........but for a first quilt, I'm blown away! In my mind if you can make a corset, you can make anything in the world.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Wow! That's your first quilt? It's wonderful!
    Coopah said it perfectly, Wow, if that's your first quilt, wow, it's beautiful.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is beautiful!
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    i love it!
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
    I finished my first quilt and I'm pretty happy with the results. I used the Honeycomb Quilt design from Anita Goodesign (medium size). It's not what you would consider a traditional quilt, but I thought people who do machine embroidery might appreciate it
    I made the hexis in the hoop, with embroidery thread in the bobbin since it would show on the back, using battilizer for the stabilizer/batting. Borrowing an idea from corset making, I sewed the hexis together with the seam allowances to the front and covered them by hand with bias. The quilt is queen sized (laying on a king sized bed in the picture). All the center honeycombs are from the design files from Anita Goodesign. I used my digitizing program to adjust some of the designs so that I had some plain hexis and partials to square up the center of the quilt, then made the borders with the sewing machine and attached them to the top, like a "quilt-as-you-go". I've attached pictures of front and back. My only disappointment is that I got the hair-brained idea to make some of the backs in different colours, like you see with a real honeycomb. I guess I just don't do random very well, so I wish I had used all the same backing fabric. Thank you for looking.
    Name:  Honeycomb Front.jpg
Size:  577.6 KBName:  Honeycomb center.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  475.8 KB Name:  Honeycomb Back.jpg
Size:  602.9 KB
    It looks astonishing, especially since that's your first quilt! And I love the backing, love the colors and your additions to the original design.
    I remember being a total novice and dealing with all the details was such a challenge. I'm blown away as well, and I can't wait to see your future projects.