Old 11-22-2019, 08:06 AM
mopec

Originally Posted by JACRN View Post
I really miss my moms Fresh Coconut Cake. Dad would always use a hammer and an ice pick. He would knock out the eyes of the coconut and drain the coconut milk for mom to use in the cake. He then would use the hammer to break open the coconut. Mom would then shred the coconut to put on the cake after she had iced it. 1989 was the last time I have had that cake. Sure miss my mom and dad.This is one of my favorite Christmas memories.
JACRN, do you have her recipe? When I was young my mom would make a layer cake with fresh coconut. I loved it. What I remember is it was better after sitting covered for a day. I always thought she used the coconut milk to drizzle over it and in my mind the frosting was a 7 minute frosting. Oh how I loved that cake. Years later when I asked Mommy about it, she didn't have a recipe and didn't remember it that vividly. I've always wanted to replicate that cake. I have a really good coconut cake recipe that I use now, but nothing like that cake (in my memory). My mom is now gone.