Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts >

Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts

Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts

Old 11-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Default Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts

Some of our "best/favorite" gifts were comparatively inexpensive - but did require thought, effort, and "doing ahead".

One year my Mom made 12 - maybe more - frozen apple pies for my husband. He still considers that one of his best gifts - ever! My Mom made awesome pies.

Our family looked forward to my Mom passing out to each of us a mini-loaf of cherry nut bread and a dozen Russian teacake cookies. Last batch was in 2004.

Our granddaughter has taken up the tradition - and she does it well!

Next?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I really miss my mom's fruitcakes. We got one every year as long as we returned the previous year's tin container. I'm thinking of making some this year. She used an applesauce cake base and real dried fruit... dates, figs, etc. yummm
Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM

For my 50th birthday, my daughter got my husband & son (along with herself) to each write the things they loved about me on small strips of colored paper and put them in a mason jar with a bow on it. Probably about 10 each and they said things like "you're so creative", "you're a good cook" etc. It was such a simple thing but I absolutely loved it. I am not a sentimental person, but I did keep this. I even cried. Such a sweet gift.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
For my 50th birthday, my daughter got my husband & son (along with herself) to each write the things they loved about me on small strips of colored paper and put them in a mason jar with a bow on it. Probably about 10 each and they said things like "you're so creative", "you're a good cook" etc. It was such a simple thing but I absolutely loved it. I am not a sentimental person, but I did keep this. I even cried. Such a sweet gift.
That is the best 'thank you ' ever!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM

When my husband and I were dating in the early 60's, and before he had a car, one Valentine's Day he walked the three miles from his house to mine in 25 degree below zero weather to deliver a single red rose that he had carried under his coat. 55 years later, I think that is still the most precious gift he's ever given me. It is also the night that my mother fell in love with him!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

My mother made the best light fruit cake. Every Christmas season we would help. My job since I was the youngest, was to remove the skins after the almonds had soaked in water to soften them.
She gave one to her brothers each year and they treasured them. We would freeze ours and make it last as long as possible. Memories to treasure!
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM

When I was in the secret Santa on this board for the first time my secret santa went back in my posts and found out that I was never given a handmade quilt. She sent me a quilt she made and I could not believe my eyes. I will never forget.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:53 AM

I really miss my moms Fresh Coconut Cake. Dad would always use a hammer and an ice pick. He would knock out the eyes of the coconut and drain the coconut milk for mom to use in the cake. He then would use the hammer to break open the coconut. Mom would then shred the coconut to put on the cake after she had iced it. 1989 was the last time I have had that cake. Sure miss my mom and dad.This is one of my favorite Christmas memories.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:55 AM

One Christmas season my husband asked me for a gift suggestion. I told him I needed a jewelry holder for my earrings. Christmas arrived and I got a mini muffin pan with twelve compartments for my earrings. What a good laugh! He also bought a beautiful wooden jewelry box which he presented to me after the muffin pan surprise. I treasure them both equally.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:17 AM

My most cherished gift was given to me many years ago, close to 50 years ago. A young girl made me a necklace from paper clips and wrapped the paper clips in paper and glued the paper around each of the paper clips. I could slip it over my head with ease. It was colorful and the only gift I received that Christmas season. I cherish it to this day. My children would ask me about it when they were young and going through my jewelry box. I would just smile. They would not have understood the meaning of such a gift. The gifts my children made for me growing up are so special. I have kept them all. My girls are now in their 40's.