Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts >

Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts

Favorite Christmas (or other event) Gifts

Old 11-21-2019, 09:09 AM

the best gift I ever got and still cherish to this day was a pack of 3X5 index cards ( fancy cards) written with all her fav recipes and a extra pack of cards for me to write my recipes on. I can just picture her in her recliner night after night with her feet up and lap desk on her lap, writing out all those recipes It is the first thing I would grab if house was on fire, we were friends from the second grade on. we were more than friends she was the sister of my heart, I miss her so much, still talk to her every day. she has been gone for over 12 years, and it still hurts, but I have so many memories, the good bad sad and warm and really funny.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:26 PM

I use he muffin pan for my Mothers meds when she is visiting. Morning, mid day and night. I put post it notes for the times
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I use he muffin pan for my Mothers meds when she is visiting. Morning, mid day and night. I put post it notes for the times
this is a good idea
Old 11-22-2019, 04:00 AM

When I was in the secret Santa on this board for the first time my secret santa went back in my posts and found out that I was never given a handmade quilt. She sent me a quilt she made and I could not believe my eyes. I will never forget.
...is amazing!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2019 at 04:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-22-2019, 06:01 AM

This year i turned 60. My kids gave me a plaque they created with “60 reasons why you are LOVED”. Top half was reasons from my son and his family and bottom was from daughter and her family. Made me cry to read that the grands added things we do at our house ( ride scooters, have fruit snacks etc). THe grands range from 2 - 15 so there are a lot of fun things on the list!!!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I think one of those plastic flip-top pill/medicine boxes /organizers might be a more secure container for her meds. I do not think they are that expensive.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JACRN View Post
I really miss my moms Fresh Coconut Cake. Dad would always use a hammer and an ice pick. He would knock out the eyes of the coconut and drain the coconut milk for mom to use in the cake. He then would use the hammer to break open the coconut. Mom would then shred the coconut to put on the cake after she had iced it. 1989 was the last time I have had that cake. Sure miss my mom and dad.This is one of my favorite Christmas memories.
My grandparents always did this at Christmas. Last one I had was 1979.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by JACRN View Post
I really miss my moms Fresh Coconut Cake. Dad would always use a hammer and an ice pick. He would knock out the eyes of the coconut and drain the coconut milk for mom to use in the cake. He then would use the hammer to break open the coconut. Mom would then shred the coconut to put on the cake after she had iced it. 1989 was the last time I have had that cake. Sure miss my mom and dad.This is one of my favorite Christmas memories.
JACRN, do you have her recipe? When I was young my mom would make a layer cake with fresh coconut. I loved it. What I remember is it was better after sitting covered for a day. I always thought she used the coconut milk to drizzle over it and in my mind the frosting was a 7 minute frosting. Oh how I loved that cake. Years later when I asked Mommy about it, she didn't have a recipe and didn't remember it that vividly. I've always wanted to replicate that cake. I have a really good coconut cake recipe that I use now, but nothing like that cake (in my memory). My mom is now gone.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:19 AM

mopec, if the recipe is still around, one of my daughters may have it. I will check. I never made it. The one I use is just a simple one.