Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 PM
AprilM

mjpencinitas - If you have made up your mind, i certainly dont wanna complicate your life, but...

Maybe you would be happy with a sitdown longarm instead... they dont take up near as much space as a standup machine. They cost about a quarter of what you might spend on a standup longarm.

Mine is not electronic, is easy to maintain and learn to use. I just basically sitdown and quilt - there are no feed dogs and i have a huge harp area and height. I love having a dedicated quilting machine and it - and the included table - fit perfectly into the extra bedroom that is now my Happy Place! Just a thought cuz there are more types of longarms than just the standup ones.

I only quilt for me and never wanted to make a business of quilting. If i invested in a standup longarm, i would feel compelled to get one with all the bells and whistles because i would feel like if i spent all that money then i better be prepared to make it pay for itself. I dont want that because for me that would take all the fun out of quilting - then it would be just another job. I quilt to unwind and relax and be creative.

I had done FMQ in my DSM for many years and pretty much decided that i didnt need a longarm (even though i wanted one). But... in consideration of retirement in a few years, i finally quit talking myself out of it because basically if i really wanted one it was now or never! I am so happy that i finally allowed myself to go ahead with the purchase!

I have had mine for a year now. FMQ is so much more fun now with more room! I also thought i would never have any interest in doing “ruler work”... boy was i wrong! After watching some really great videos on using rulers i could really get my head around the value of learning that skill and i am working to get better!

Like i said, i dont want to make your life more complicated if you have already decided what is right for you. I respect that. I just want to make sure that you are aware of all of the options you might have available to you.