Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 AM
mjpEncinitas

iceblossom. I wish you lived nearby. I’d be happy to share my sit down mid arm sweet sixteen with you.

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Long arming does take more physical stamina and ability than a lot of people realize. On the other hand, it allows some of us with physical issues the ability to do our own quilting that might be too hard on us in another form. I think most of the people here really advise people to take their time, visit Sew Expos, try a few machines and take a class or two at a local shop/long armer and I always say use your tape measure before committing to the purchase. It takes at least a typical sized single car garage or family room to be comfortable, for me anyway.

I would so get a long arm if I had (a) the money and (b) the space. I know there is more to being computerized than just pointing and going, but I'd love to learn how to do it and I want that ability. I've gotten pretty proficient with stitch regulator and my technical skills were ok, but my downfall is that I just don't think in terms of what can be done with quilting. My joy is in the planning and piecing and I can piece very quickly. The only thing that does slow me down is getting my tops finished or I would piece even moom e than I do now. I haven't counted in awhile but I typically have around 20 tops waiting to be quilted. Everything is expensive in my area, I think to get what I want each of those tops would cost $350-500+ for quilting (sure, I could get a simple edge to edge non custom finish for a little less -- but I can do that eventually on my domestic), if I sent out those tops alone that's 8-10k. The way I see it, it makes a lot of sense for me to have a long arm, but I just don't have the space even when I've seen some really great deals. I was able to use a friend's set up for a few years and now I'm spoiled, really hard to go back to a domestic.

For people with more space and/or budget than me, why not get one if it isn't going to break the bank? In my lottery dreams I turn my current home into my sewing studio and I have a professional Statler model named Elvira sitting right about where I am now.

I see the wonderful things people do here in in shows and magazines and all that, and all I can do is admire their work and sometimes steal an idea or two. Some people can take any old thing and elevate it by their work. I'm mostly just trying to keep it all together in the wash! I have fairly high standards, so it isn't my workmanship but rather the art of quilting that I'm missing.