Thread: tamales
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Iceblossom

I've been needing a new stock pot and bought one from Amazon that just got delivered yesterday! We went to Costco just before Thanksgiving but no pots on the day I was actually willing to buy one. The one I got is by Cuisinart and has the pasta basket and steamer trays and I'll be able to try it for tamales.

I picked up all the ingredients but usually my Mom cooks an additional turkey for us to take home for leftovers so I was expecting to have a ton of cooked turkey to work with. She wasn't feeling up to shopping so my brother got the turkeys and instead of her usual 20+ pound birds, got two 12ish pound birds and both were needed to feed guests to handle the extra people who didn't RSVP. But that's ok, hubby's work gave him a turkey which I cut down raw, deboned and froze the breast halves and I can use that for tamales attempt one.

Going to call them "todd-males" after the hubby, who complained about the masa/filling ratio even before he went keto. Think I'm going to make a squarer patty and it will look more like the little bundles of sticky rice we have here for dim sum than a tamale. But there are good cooking reasons for the shape and size of a traditional tamale so maybe that won't work.

If this works for me, it will be easy to substitute vegetable stock for the chicken/turkey broth and make a vegan filling (spicy mushroom mix most likely, but maybe something with fresh spinach in there too).

Will post an update after I make a few batches in the next few days.