Old 12-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Iceblossom

I like the block of the month idea, some people always have ideas to get started and others take awhile to come up with one.

One time in one group I was in we were just given the size and "house". Most of us did some representation of our own homes -- helps for me that I live in a basic white rectangle with a green triangle on top!

Some people want a specific block made, lots of stars out there, again you can specify size or specific pattern or specific colors/types of fabrics etc.

If I was in a group that did things like this, I'd want coffee cups and would only specify size (pieced or appliqued or even embroidered all just fine) but I'd want signatures.

I've seen but haven't participated in any where basically you are given a block kit complete with fabric and you just sew it for the other person. I've often been given a piece of fabric to use for background or "must use some where".

One group I saw committed to a one year challenge. First, they all made 9-patch blocks which they shared with each other. The rules were dark corners and while you could make any assortment you wanted, you had to make the same assortment for each person so that they all ended up with exactly the same 9-patches.

Then they had a year to make something with those patches and they kept it secret until the reveal date/party. Some people put them together pretty basically. Other people did elaborate things like slicing them on the diagonal or whatever. Some set with alternate blocks, some did other things. So some were big or small or embellished or plain, it was a group of 10-12 I think and they did encompass all sorts of skill levels and favorite techniques.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.