Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for suggestions project that will keep us engaged >

Looking for suggestions project that will keep us engaged

Looking for suggestions project that will keep us engaged

Old 12-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Looking for suggestions project that will keep us engaged

I meet with a group of ladies weekly. We all have different levels of quilting skills. We love doing projects that keeps us actively engaged with each other. Our last successful project was the first Splendid sampler. (we are now known as the Splendettes). Soooo - Jan 1 is right around the corner and we are trying to think of another (maybe on-line) project that will keep us engaged.
So I am looking for suggestions.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Wow! the world is the limit on this one. I am a fan of anything with HST's. The projects are limitless. Anything for the Depression blocks to stars. You can do them in so many sizes and be as creative as you want. Everyone can sharpen their skills with HST's too. Of course there are so many different blocks that use them. You can even come up with a block that is of your own design this way. Happy Quilting!
Old 12-11-2019, 10:05 AM

Sounds like a fun group. How about a "block of the month" project between y'all? Or maybe monthly, seasonal wall hangings where each could make the wall hangings according to their own skill levels. Let us know what y'all are doing together.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:30 AM

I like the block of the month idea, some people always have ideas to get started and others take awhile to come up with one.

One time in one group I was in we were just given the size and "house". Most of us did some representation of our own homes -- helps for me that I live in a basic white rectangle with a green triangle on top!

Some people want a specific block made, lots of stars out there, again you can specify size or specific pattern or specific colors/types of fabrics etc.

If I was in a group that did things like this, I'd want coffee cups and would only specify size (pieced or appliqued or even embroidered all just fine) but I'd want signatures.

I've seen but haven't participated in any where basically you are given a block kit complete with fabric and you just sew it for the other person. I've often been given a piece of fabric to use for background or "must use some where".

One group I saw committed to a one year challenge. First, they all made 9-patch blocks which they shared with each other. The rules were dark corners and while you could make any assortment you wanted, you had to make the same assortment for each person so that they all ended up with exactly the same 9-patches.

Then they had a year to make something with those patches and they kept it secret until the reveal date/party. Some people put them together pretty basically. Other people did elaborate things like slicing them on the diagonal or whatever. Some set with alternate blocks, some did other things. So some were big or small or embellished or plain, it was a group of 10-12 I think and they did encompass all sorts of skill levels and favorite techniques.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Not sure what your ultimate goal for the group is when you refer to "actively engaged"??
Maybe you could give us all a better idea as to what sort of project(s) you are looking for??

Some ideas ...
The Splendid Sampler had a lot of blocks. If you want something similar, there is always the many FWS quilts as well as DJ for lots of blocks. So many other sampler patterns out there.

Already mentioned BOMs ... lots of them out there for free. Also BODs and BOWs.
There's the New Year's Day Mystery online QAL and other similars that could be done as a mystery,
or let them see the finished design upfront for fabric selection.

Spinoffs of challenges that are done at Guilds could be done within your group.

As above, not quite sure what sort of ideas you are looking for ...
... so please help us out, and we can probably help you better!
Old 12-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

How about a row robin with teaching a new skill in every row?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Good idea!! Round robins are so much fun! I have done 2 of them on this board. They are an interesting challenge.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Isn't part of the Row/Round Robins the element of surprise, because you are working on someone else's quilt?
If doing it as part of their weekly GTGs, what would be the surprise?

Though a Row quilt, with different techniques in each, would be a great one, to help learn techniques,
and/or improve skills.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 PM

In one of my quilt groups we just chose a fabric and a block, sort of the way suggested in this book: https://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Challen.../dp/1564779114 .
Old 12-11-2019, 06:07 PM

oh my goodness that book was written by my first quilt teacher. she was wonderful! her ideas were so good, took my mother to one of her trunk shows mother said ;she was such fun even if you did not quilt; mother did not quilt. good ideas in her book