View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 09:28 AM
KalamaQuilts

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I don't have that ruler but I do have a triangle ruler and also I have smaller rulers with the 45* angle marked on them. Could I use the same concept but using the rulers I already have?
Yes please to all the tips and help out there. LOL, and thanks KalamaQuilts for your suggestion.
I don't know. I'm guess yes if you are a math and visual whiz. The easy angle is marked and designed specifically for 1/2 square triangles and one side of the dogears is already accounted for, hence the cuttiing and size come out the same. so aligning it on the fabric is a chinch. Bonnie shows how to use it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ_AoJsGJbM
About 2 minutes in is the first key tip...flip. flip back. flip.
She doesn't show it here but somewhere elsewhere, a close up of any ruler on the fabric. You should Just barely barest see the edge of the fabric, don't have the size line just off the fabric.

And along with always having the dark on top when running patches through the machine, I always have the dark on top when I cut my 1/2 squares. Consistency has helped me get better results across all my patchwork.

If you aren't pressing to the dark it doesn't matter, but it sure does when stitching two sets together, the top side has the seam point up and you can see if it will get bent over or flipped, the underside is always going down so it rides smoothly over the down pointing seam side.

If that is all clear as mud, I can probably explain it worse But JoAnns carries the easy angle so it's accessible. I prefer the smaller size myself, Bonnie prefers the larger one.