Thread: tamales
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Iceblossom

Todd-males worked well with this recipe and I will do again. It was very easy to do, I mixed the oil into the masa first, then added the liquids, mixed by hand and it was easy. I used turkey stock from the Thanksgiving carcass, plus turkey meat I cooked and jarred verde sauce.

The new stockpot I bought didn't work as well as I had hoped. It has a steamer basket but it isn't really deep enough, still I made one batch day one. I had mixed the masa in a tupperware container with a lid, so put that on and let it sit on the counter until day 2.

Day 2 the masa was pretty much the same as day 1, no better/no worse -- so worked great! I went to the dollar store and got some cheap aluminum pans which I waded up and put in the bottom of the stockpot, and then that raised the level of the pasta strainer part so it was high enough above the water that I could do a batch that way. Didn't have enough to put another batch in the steamer but I could have done two at once. I took foil and sealed the gap between the pasta pot and the raised stockpot, put on the lid, and went away happy.

Next attempt will be for the vegan son and DDiL, I'll make that spicy mushroom mixture for half, and then blend in a can of corn niblets into the masa and do more of a sweet version like cornbread into the other half. I'll do those in the husks.

Next time I try the Todd-males (so more filling in them than normal), I'll get banana leaves from the local market and make them that way. I envision a little packet more like the sticky rice we are used to here, basically masa patty too much filling, another patty and wrapped into a square maybe 3-4".