View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Iceblossom

While you don't need a specialty ruler for the HST, you do need to be aware that the strip size Bonnie uses will not work with triangles or squares, it will not be correct! With the specialty ruler it is placed so the top of the strip is even and there is only one dog ear. You have to compensate for that other dog ear.

You need to "snub" off the top of the point in order for it to work. You can just take a piece of tape and cover off the end of the point on your ruler. Unfortunately I'm having issues with my scanner right now and can't show the diagram I did.

The rule for making right triangles is to add 7/8ths to the desired finished size and not our standard 1/4". Many people just call it 1" and trim a sliver off or adjust their seam a bit fatter.

With my scraps, it makes more sense for me to do it by squares and not strips, I'm not making many repeats. For other people (especially using just one fabric), strips might make more sense.

With my vision, it works better for me to cut and piece larger and size down, I'm using finished size plus 1.25" to make two HST from each square.

No specialty ruler is needed for the QST. Just make squares as she says and slice as an X. If you don't have enough fabric to cut the squares and have to cut them as triangles, we can work with that.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-21-2019 at 07:09 PM.