View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Iceblossom

Drat! Coming down hard with a cold. Got my clue done yesterday which is good because my head is foggy today.

Came back to my post about the specialty rulers last night too late to edit/clarify. When DoomBuggy says you don't need a specialty ruler for the QST part of the strips, that's true as far as it goes, but for that size of strip you need to account for the missing ear of the HST. So when I'm referring to "not having the specialty ruler" it has nothing to do with the QST, but with the HST. If I cut my strips that small to begin with, I'd just use the point of my square as DoomBuggy suggested. But since I'm making my strips larger, it doesn't work quite so well. Sure, I could pull out another piece of tape but for me and the way I think, the process would just be very cumbersome and rife with chances for mistakes.

I guess there are two basic ways to do this step, the "one strip" method where you get all your cuts for one unit from a single set of strips (and should have the specialty ruler for the HST). And the "two strip" method that I used, no specialty rulers needed.

My current saying is the quilt we make depends on the fabrics we have. For people with yardage or good fat quarters, the single strip method is probably pretty darn sweet -- as has been mentioned you need about half a yard so you can just slice and dice your strips together. Bet you get going good after the first set or two! With my mish mash of pieces and my desire to especially use up small pieces, it just wouldn't have worked.

For the "one strip" if I was to do it that way, I'd probably start by cutting my strips to my over large size and then cut off my squares to make the HSTs. Then I'd trim down the strip to Bonnie's dimension and cut the QST.