View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 PM
SonnyB

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I learned to sew on a 15-91. I have My mother's sewing machine now that she has passed. They are great machines. Mother left hers in storage for many years, so it now needs re-wiring. The decals are in good shape, but it shows the years in UN-air-conditioned storage.

I found a model 65 cabinet in oak that I thought would work out well. It was an auction item, so I think I paid $25 or $30.00 for it. It was trash. However, it had a 15-91 in it that is in great condition.

I see lots of 15-91's on craigslist and offerup. They are asking in the hundreds, but they don't bring that. I would suggest you keep looking and pick up a 15-91 at $50 to $75. Pay attention to those items that have been for sale for three of more weeks. You can often get one in a nice cabinet for less than $100.

Generally speaking, people think they are worth a bunch because they are old. It's not so. There is not much demand for old sewing machines. Unfortunately, there are more machines out there than there are people wanting them.

So, all that to say that it might be a good strategy to let a machine set on one of the online forums for a couple of weeks before you respond to the ad.

Also, don't forget about thrift shops, goodwill and salvation army.

We are great enablers. (I don't want to be the only one with a bunch of old sewing machines.)

bkay
What area do you live in? In North Georgia I have been watching ads for about 4 weeks and on old Singers the prices are all over the place. Some seem reasonable and a lot are absurdly high. I see quite a few treadle machines but mostly 70's and newer. I'm still trying to relax and take my time. The machine I posted about has been listed for at least 4 weeks. I have yet to contact them about it, I have been interested in it since I first saw it but have wanted to find out more about them and have figured the longer it sits the more likely they are to negotiate on the price. I am kinda hoping and thinking that the asking price may drop now after Christmas. If it does I plan on waiting a few more days then contact