Fair Price for Singer 15-125

Old 12-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Default Fair Price for Singer 15-125

I am new to sewing and owning vintage sewing machines but every time I take up a new hobby I go overboard. I don't abandon them instead I find new one to slow down the collecting on the older hobbies. I already too many firearms and motorcycles so now I will in a few years have too many sewing machines. Anyway due to the reading I have been doing here and elsewhere the Singer 15-91's have seemed very appealing to me. I recently saw this 15-125 in a local ad. Since my first purchase was a green and white New Home (Janome) I am considering buying this and would like to hear y'alls opinions on a fair price.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-26-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: remove copyright pics, should have used link
Old 12-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Aesthetically, it's not in great shape. They are not real common, so if I was dead set on having a 15-125, maybe I'd buy it. I believe you can find a better example of the 15-125. I had a 15-125 at one time that I sent to Leon. It looked about like that. If pushed, I would guess that it's worth $25.00.

I'm one of those people who would prefer a pretty 15-91 to an ugly 15-125.

bkay
Old 12-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Aesthetically, it's not in great shape. They are not real common, so if I was dead set on having a 15-125, maybe I'd buy it. I believe you can find a better example of the 15-125. I had a 15-125 at one time that I sent to Leon. It looked about like that. If pushed, I would guess that it's worth $25.00.

I'm one of those people who would prefer a pretty 15-91 to an ugly 15-125.

bkay
Thanks, I had no idea about prices for them. I knew she was not a very pretty girl with all the scars she has but unsure of their or the 15-91's availability. The ad is listed as asking $60
Old 12-25-2019, 04:13 PM

It is a 15-91 with the new design of the body. Some parts are modified slightly, but generally all it's features and strengths are the same. I can compare to the similarities between a black, cast iron, belt driven 201K and a beige aluminium 201K-23. I think some 15-125s are cast aluminium.

The paler colored versions can have some advantages when it comes to reflecting light, sewing black thread on black fabric, using a black machine can require an extra light source. I know some seek out paler colored machine for that reason, I guess most of us are happy with the new LED bulbs or an extra reading lamp when needed.

As a portable, the 201K-23 is much easier to move from one spot to another, it is still the same stable, smooth running work horse what ever the job you give it. The paler green color is attractive to some. Here these machines tend to go for about the equivalent of $30 to $80, but I seen very good condition machines with lots of accessories go for the equivalent of $170 or more. They often come with the Swiss zigzagger and it is still sought after.

Don't pay too much for a worn machine with out all parts there, they are well worth the fix up in general and touch up to the paint, but it requires more time and effort, and it should be relfected in the price. If you really want a green one, you probably find your self searching for years before you find one locally. In some areas they are more common than others, here I get the brown and tan verison a bit more often, but usually black. Machines with potted motors are the odd one out here.

There aren't much money in this, the worth is mostly for those who need a good sewing machine, the old domestic all metal straight stitchers are in a league of their own in many respects. Fixing up an old machine, is fun and rewarding and for things like free motion quilting and emboridery any 15 is a favorite.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It is a 15-91 with the new design of the body. Some parts are modified slightly, but generally all it's features and strengths are the same. I can compare to the similarities between a black, cast iron, belt driven 201K and a beige aluminium 201K-23. I think some 15-125s are cast aluminium.

The paler colored versions can have some advantages when it comes to reflecting light, sewing black thread on black fabric, using a black machine can require an extra light source. I know some seek out paler colored machine for that reason, I guess most of us are happy with the new LED bulbs or an extra reading lamp when needed.

As a portable, the 201K-23 is much easier to move from one spot to another, it is still the same stable, smooth running work horse what ever the job you give it. The paler green color is attractive to some. Here these machines tend to go for about the equivalent of $30 to $80, but I seen very good condition machines with lots of accessories go for the equivalent of $170 or more. They often come with the Swiss zigzagger and it is still sought after.

Don't pay too much for a worn machine with out all parts there, they are well worth the fix up in general and touch up to the paint, but it requires more time and effort, and it should be relfected in the price. If you really want a green one, you probably find your self searching for years before you find one locally. In some areas they are more common than others, here I get the brown and tan verison a bit more often, but usually black. Machines with potted motors are the odd one out here.

There aren't much money in this, the worth is mostly for those who need a good sewing machine, the old domestic all metal straight stitchers are in a league of their own in many respects. Fixing up an old machine, is fun and rewarding and for things like free motion quilting and emboridery any 15 is a favorite.
I don't mind the time and effort spent restoring things, in fact I enjoy doing so I have rebuilt a few motorcycles and do my own gunsmithing. Since I started learning to sew my daughter is wanting me to teach her and my oldest son is showing interest in learning. I am considering moving my New Home 446 to the family room and would like a 15 of some sort for me. I just don't want to overpay by a lot.
I also don't want to lose an opportunity to get a mechanically sound 15 if it is going to be something that will be hard to come across again. I haven't seen this one in person but is claimed to be a good running machine ready to work

Last edited by SonnyB; 12-25-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added to
Old 12-25-2019, 06:32 PM

I learned to sew on a 15-91. I have My mother's sewing machine now that she has passed. They are great machines. Mother left hers in storage for many years, so it now needs re-wiring. The decals are in good shape, but it shows the years in UN-air-conditioned storage.

I found a model 65 cabinet in oak that I thought would work out well. It was an auction item, so I think I paid $25 or $30.00 for it. It was trash. However, it had a 15-91 in it that is in great condition.

I see lots of 15-91's on craigslist and offerup. They are asking in the hundreds, but they don't bring that. I would suggest you keep looking and pick up a 15-91 at $50 to $75. Pay attention to those items that have been for sale for three of more weeks. You can often get one in a nice cabinet for less than $100.

Generally speaking, people think they are worth a bunch because they are old. It's not so. There is not much demand for old sewing machines. Unfortunately, there are more machines out there than there are people wanting them.

So, all that to say that it might be a good strategy to let a machine set on one of the online forums for a couple of weeks before you respond to the ad.

Also, don't forget about thrift shops, goodwill and salvation army.

We are great enablers. (I don't want to be the only one with a bunch of old sewing machines.)

bkay
Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I learned to sew on a 15-91. I have My mother's sewing machine now that she has passed. They are great machines. Mother left hers in storage for many years, so it now needs re-wiring. The decals are in good shape, but it shows the years in UN-air-conditioned storage.

I found a model 65 cabinet in oak that I thought would work out well. It was an auction item, so I think I paid $25 or $30.00 for it. It was trash. However, it had a 15-91 in it that is in great condition.

I see lots of 15-91's on craigslist and offerup. They are asking in the hundreds, but they don't bring that. I would suggest you keep looking and pick up a 15-91 at $50 to $75. Pay attention to those items that have been for sale for three of more weeks. You can often get one in a nice cabinet for less than $100.

Generally speaking, people think they are worth a bunch because they are old. It's not so. There is not much demand for old sewing machines. Unfortunately, there are more machines out there than there are people wanting them.

So, all that to say that it might be a good strategy to let a machine set on one of the online forums for a couple of weeks before you respond to the ad.

Also, don't forget about thrift shops, goodwill and salvation army.

We are great enablers. (I don't want to be the only one with a bunch of old sewing machines.)

bkay
What area do you live in? In North Georgia I have been watching ads for about 4 weeks and on old Singers the prices are all over the place. Some seem reasonable and a lot are absurdly high. I see quite a few treadle machines but mostly 70's and newer. I'm still trying to relax and take my time. The machine I posted about has been listed for at least 4 weeks. I have yet to contact them about it, I have been interested in it since I first saw it but have wanted to find out more about them and have figured the longer it sits the more likely they are to negotiate on the price. I am kinda hoping and thinking that the asking price may drop now after Christmas. If it does I plan on waiting a few more days then contact
Old 12-26-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
What area do you live in?
I'm in the Dallas area. I assumed that your GA area market for sewing machines would be similar to mine. Yes, I agree that prices for vintage machines are all over the place. There are a couple of guys in the area who buy, refurb and sell machines. They are asking in the hundreds for them, but they refinish the cabinets and refurb the machines. Most of the machines have accessories. One particular guy comes up with some great stuff - featherweight card tables, nice treadles, etc. My guess is that he is getting them at the Salvation Army auctions.

Goodwill doesn't accept any furniture, so most leftovers from estate sales, etc. go to the SA. Sewing machines rarely show up in their stores, and you know they get a lot of them. They have an auction at 9:00 AM every weekday. (I've never attended one of their auctions, so this is just speculation.) Still, that guy has to be getting those great machines somewhere like that.

Just keep looking - thats the fun part, anyway. Here's a report on one of my really good sewing machine purchases. This was advertised on offerup.com. (I've made as many bad purchases as good ones, maybe more.) Scored!

(I just want to make sure you are properly enabled in this new addiction.)

bkay
Old 12-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Don't forget about Facebook Marketplace. And like Craigslist you can set up filters and notifications.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I have one of these 15-125's. I got mine off of ebay a while back. I think I paid $40. I haven't used it yet, as it needs more internal cleaning of gobs of oil dried oil, etc.
I had heard that these are good sturdy machines, and I am planning on using it for heavier projects like sewing drop cloths, tarps, and maybe some leather.
Hope you get this one, or find one that will bring you many years of use!