View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 05:49 AM
bkay

Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
What area do you live in?
I'm in the Dallas area. I assumed that your GA area market for sewing machines would be similar to mine. Yes, I agree that prices for vintage machines are all over the place. There are a couple of guys in the area who buy, refurb and sell machines. They are asking in the hundreds for them, but they refinish the cabinets and refurb the machines. Most of the machines have accessories. One particular guy comes up with some great stuff - featherweight card tables, nice treadles, etc. My guess is that he is getting them at the Salvation Army auctions.

Goodwill doesn't accept any furniture, so most leftovers from estate sales, etc. go to the SA. Sewing machines rarely show up in their stores, and you know they get a lot of them. They have an auction at 9:00 AM every weekday. (I've never attended one of their auctions, so this is just speculation.) Still, that guy has to be getting those great machines somewhere like that.

Just keep looking - thats the fun part, anyway. Here's a report on one of my really good sewing machine purchases. This was advertised on offerup.com. (I've made as many bad purchases as good ones, maybe more.) Scored!

(I just want to make sure you are properly enabled in this new addiction.)

bkay